Friday, March 30, 2007

McBride bobs like a cork in the Think Tank

I hope you caught Garland Robinette's Show today which featured local blogger, activist, engineer, Matt McBride. I can't begin to tell you how sobering the interview was. Matt was a very focused and impressive speaker and what he had to say was a slap in the face.

We're not in good shape folks. According to Matt our situation is so perilous at the moment that a "heavy rainfall" could cause another levee breach. He claimed that on Dec. 30 of '06 that nearly happened.

Can you imagine what the consequences would be? All the development that's been done in the low lying areas like Broadmoor, Lakeview, The East could all potentially be wiped out again in a heavy rainfall. What's worse is there would be no evacuation notice as in a hurricane...we would just get flooded and flooded quick.

All I can say is read what Matt is telling us ....If it's true, ACE is lying to us and the country about our future and their efforts to ensure it. Why? Lucrative contracts, Washington politics, corruption and chronyism. If McBride is right....we better start planning another march. We have a much bigger threat at hand than the crime problem.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

when and where? I'll be happy to hold up signs all day long!! This shouldn't be happening.

Anonymous said...

AZ:
This is a bit off topic, but just yesterday a reliable friend who lives in the East told me something I had never heard or read before. He told me that he had chest-high water in his house off Bullard Avenue some time before nightfall on Sunday August 28, 2005. This is at least 12-15 hours earlier that I had previously heard of catastrophic flooding in any part of the city. This is long before the infamous levee breaches on the outfall canals or the Industrial Canal. He advised that this was MRGO-driven surge that overtopped the eastern New Orleans levees in advance of arrival of the worst of the storm winds. Is this common knowledge, and something that I have missed? Has anyone else heard this or know of any verification of this information? If accurate, this is most extraordinary, and should lay to rest any argument against closing of the MRGO.

LatinTeacher said...

A Disclaimer: I am irritable and sometimes I get worked up and can't control what I say. Ok, now to my point. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!! ?!?!? JESUS CHRIST! If the ACoE is aware that this problem has not been fixed, they need to tell people so they do not spend valuable resources, time, money, hope, etc. rebuilding when yet another levee breach is imminent. It appears that this is the case, yet few are aware of the danger. Universities, schools, homeowners, businesses are in immediate peril. And they don't even know about it. Thats. Fucked. Up.

Anonymous said...

Anyone capture it?

Anonymous said...

Count me in for a protest march over the ACOE's freakin' lies and equivocations.

Betts and I are moving our house along as fast as we can so that we will be able to withstand a flood or the weather. The break on the London near Dillard was the killer for us.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed just like last year.

Anntichrist S. Coulter said...

Since they've dispersed the majority of Democratic voters of Orleans to all four corners of the earth, then what is in it for the republicunts to continue to murder New Orleans? Is it just so that the Shaw Group can send more money to Bahrain as Halliburton sends their profits to Dubai? Do the Boh Brothers and the USACE have no-fault contracts that continue the big fat checks coming in, even as their "construction" fails again and again?

What's in it for them? I don't get it. I know that they're doing it, I just want to know WHY.

Anonymous said...

http://www.fe.doe.gov/programs/reserves/
index.html

Elsewhere on site: "The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is a U.S. Government complex of four sites created in deep underground salt caverns along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast that hold emergency supplies of crude oil."

Now ask what the shuttered morgue facility built in Carville post-Katrina for $17 million has to do with this.

Anonymous said...

I'm about 9 or 10 blocks due east on Mirabeau from the London Canal east breach, and not much farther from the "weak point" at the Dillard campus, and I've been keeping a close eye on this. My wife, on the other hand, just called me this morning after apparently seeing Matt McBride on television this morning wanting to know if I knew about this. Especially in light of the fact that after all this time we're right about on the verge of finally signing a contract and getting started with partial demolition, rebuilding, renovating the existing, etc.