Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nothing compares to homegrown....

Terrorism that is. Yeah...it's officially a meme...Homegrown Terrorism. It's the kind of terrorism you grow in your closet with a sunlamp.

Our congress has it under control though...the House just passed a bill:

H.R. 1955: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007

...it protects us from the homegrown stuff....and "Violent Radicalization" to boot. Isn't that bass-ackwards....shouldn't it be radical violence? I mean violent radicalization? What exactly is that? Am I in danger of being violently radicalized? I'd love to see Congress pass legislation to combat "radical lethargy"....or "homegrown oblivion"...somehow I think those semantic constructs pose a greater threat to the country than all of these mysterious, homegrown, terrorist cells which are suddenly popping up.

so here's how they define "Violent Radicalization":

`(2) VIOLENT RADICALIZATION- The term `violent radicalization' means the process of adopting or promoting an extremist belief system for the purpose of facilitating ideologically based violence to advance political, religious, or social change.

Great Hunter's Ghost....I think they just criminalized Evangelical Christianity. Let's go round up all these bible-thumping bitches in Red State America and send 'em to Guantanamo.

"facilitating ideologically based violence"....is that a thought crime? Does that mean I'm guilty if I have violent ideas against someone? Cause you might as well throw my ass in the clink right now....I daydream about knocking stupid motherfuckers upside their head almost daily....sometimes it comes from ideological underpinnings other times it just comes from too much alcohol. Whatever the catalyst, I definitely have violent notions pop up in my head quite often.

But wait...they do try to define "Ideologically based violence" for us in definition #4:

4) IDEOLOGICALLY BASED VIOLENCE- The term `ideologically based violence' means the use, planned use, or threatened use of force or violence by a group or individual to promote the group or individual's political, religious, or social beliefs.

"planned use, or threatened use"....does that also mean rhetorical hyperbole? If I say "City Hall is so screwed up....we should just blow it up and start over."...am I going to Gitmo?

And let's not overlook the findings....particularly #3:

`(3) The Internet has aided in facilitating violent radicalization, ideologically based violence, and the homegrown terrorism process in the United States by providing access to broad and constant streams of terrorist-related propaganda to United States citizens.

Is your spidey-sense tingling? Mine is.

And check out this one:

`(9) Certain governments, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia have significant experience with homegrown terrorism and the United States can benefit from lessons learned by those nations.

Oh yeah? That's a curious list of countries as oppossed to say...Lebanon, Pakistan, Indonesia, Ireland, The Phillipines, etc. who I"m sure have even more extensive experience with "Homegrown Terrorism". But I'm sure the millions of dollars we will pay to the security advisory firms from the U.K. and it's colonies will help us refine the semantics of "Homegrown Terrorism" much better as these countries have access to Microsoft Office and they can create some nifty spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations to make HT an actual "thingie" in the overloaded synapses of Zombie America.

The only homegrown movement I'm scared of is our descent into fascism. This bill seems to be one more surreptitious step in that direction. Funny how the MSM didn't mention a word about this bill....much like the bill Leiberman and Kyl passed declaring Iran as a "terrorist entity" ....they deemed it not so newsworthy. If we're at such a threat from "Homegrown Terrorists", shouldn't CNN be headlining this news?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was defined as Dissent.

See you in Gitmo, Bro.

Anonymous said...

"The term `ideologically based violence' means the use, planned use, or threatened use of force or violence by a group or individual to promote the group or individual's political, religious, or social beliefs."

Is there an exclusionary clause in there for governments that use force to further a political belief like democracy? Force that has contributed a fair amount to the violence that has resulted in 37,528 Iraqis and 3,711 US soldiers since the fall of Baghdad?

I'm not bashing democracy, just hypocrisy.

Anonymous said...

***OFF TOPIC BUT I CAN NOT RESIST***
Q:
How much does a 144k wireless access point cost?
A:
Over $10,000 installed in NOLA

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/uptotheminute.cfm?recid=13618&userID=0&referer=dailyUpdate

Is this Papmy's Internet Cafe?

I am posting here because you seem to have knack for finding things like this out...

E said...

fo sho. we're all headed to camps. this stuff is just devastating to read. devastating. i hate the president and the congress that enables him. i'm a terrorist.

Anonymous said...

Did they define "extremist belief system"?

I think I need to confess. I've been violently radicalized. I think we can take 'em.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. As I was reading #4 I was thinking the same thing as oludumare. Oh my god! Is our own government describing their own actions? I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

Anonymous said...

They're projecting, a frequent trait of those who interact abusively.

Jason Brad Berry said...

- They're projecting, a frequent trait of those who interact abusively.

Fo' True! it's amazing isn't it? paranoia strikes deep...into your heart it will creep.

Anonymous said...

I've long believed that our modern day faux conservatives very intentionally utilize the tried and true tactics employed by abusers in personal relationships to "control" the electorate the ways an abuser controls the abused. I so wish I didn't know that stuff. *sigh*

Where is the outrage? I've found only a handful of items in el blogosphere about H.R. 1955. And the bill had 20 sponsors? Most of them Dems? Only six voted against it? Make it make sense.

Anonymous said...

Allah, Allah, Allah! They have no understanding of English or of basic political theory!

George "Loki" Williams said...

You make me feel like I've lost my edge. I'm just not able to dig out the dirt the way I used to. Thats how the fuckers win, they wear you down....